East Point Energy develops standalone, grid-scale energy storage projects that enable a more renewable, resilient, and affordable electric grid. East Point is currently developing gigawatts of energy storage projects throughout the country and has transacted on several hundred megawatts with some of the largest, most sophisticated energy investors in the country.
The firm’s executive team founded East Point in 2018, bringing decades of combined energy development experience and over 1.8 gigawatts of solar, wind, and energy storage projects currently in operation across the United States.
East Point is technology and contractor agnostic, allowing us to find the best solution for each project. Our nimble team is comprised of hard-working, strategic problem solvers who are passionate about sustainability. Success for East Point is measured by delivering affordable energy storage solutions that benefit the grid, communities, and our environment.
East Point is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for a job unless they feel they are fully qualified in every way. We also know that sometimes the best candidates do not check every box. If you are interested in learning more, we would love to hear from you.
Title: Development Engineer
The Development Engineer is responsible for the engineering, design, interconnection, permitting and technical risk assessment of our grid-scale energy storage projects.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Creating constraints maps, site plans and layouts (kmz, SketchUp, and CAD)
- Lead interconnection application and study process
- Managing outside engineering (civil and electrical), environmental consultants and contractors; including bidding, contracting, and reviewing and assessing deliverables
- Identifying and resolving issues related to environmental, engineering, design, permitting and technology
- Maintaining relationships with key equipment vendors and contractors
- Understanding of current and future battery technologies (e.g. Li-ion, solid-state, flow, etc.)
- Creating and maintaining project plans with schedules and budgets
- Working independently, with the project team, and with outside parties, such as landowners, permit officers, public agencies, equipment vendors, contractors, etc.
- Attending local government public hearings for discretionary permitting
- Tracking and managing interconnection reform
- Proficiency with Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams, etc)
- Proficiency with project management software
- Proficiency with GIS and working in SketchUp and AutoCAD
- Ability to communicate across a broad spectrum of technical understanding - written, verbal and non-verbal
- Public speaking skills (role includes presenting East Point projects at public hearings)
- Technical risk identification and assessment
- Ability to review and interpret construction drawings for technical requirements
Characteristics of an ideal candidate:
- Passion for energy development and the environment
- Creative problem-solving ability and solutions-oriented mindset
- Proactive attitude
- Team player
- Attention to detail
Education & Experience:
- Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in engineering (environmental, electrical, civil, structural, or mechanical) are preferred. Other quantitative-focused majors will be considered
- 1-2 years of experience preferred; exceptional entry-level candidates will be considered
Travel & Time Commitment:
- Approximately 30% of time will be on the road; will vary based on status of projects
- Work travel includes solo site visits and landowner meetings
- A typical work week is 50-60 hours, depending on the needs of the projects
- Dental Insurance
- 401(k), 401(k) Employer Match
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- Paid Time Off
- Education, Parking, and Gym Membership Stipends
East Point Energy office in Charlottesville, VA
This job description is not inclusive of all requirements of the position. Employees will perform any other duties as may be required by their manager.